My Dear, Precious Allie,
Just like that, you are two months shy of your first birthday. You have continued to develop at an amazing rate. You are a smart cookie and pick things up really quickly. This month’s developments include:
- You’ve learned how to drink from a sippy cup AND a straw cup. We’re not sure why, but you also like to blow out air after you drink. Sometimes, you end up spitting out water or milk when you do that.
- You are starting to seem to understand the word “No.” At least when we tell you not to eat your books, or leaves, or rocks, you will pause, take it out of your mouth and shake your head. You will also shake your head randomly, or when you hear someone say the word “No.” It’s very cute.
- You’ve learned to throw your hands up in the air when we say “Yay!”
- You have grown more comfortable with pulling yourself up to standing position. However, you’re not showing much interest in walking yet (which is probably a good thing.)
- Your absolute favourite food right now is corn puffs. Your Mommy found some organic puffed Kamut (wheat) and then some puffed corn and you liked both of them right away. Your little hands have gotten better at picking up the puffs and putting them in your mouth.
- You’ve started spitting out any food that you don’t feel like eating. You’ll do this even with food you used to like, such as peaches and nectarines.
- You finally like applesauce. Unlike when you were 6 months old.
- We introduced you to hard boiled egg yolk. You seem to like it.
- You also like to take things out of boxes. We’re trying to teach you how to put them back in but you seem to know that’s not as fun.
- You love flipping book pages. Usually, you’ll pay attention for the first reading of a given book and then you’ll just want to flip the pages as fast as you can. You look like a little speed reader when you do that.
- Autumn leaves never cease to fascinate you. You love holding them, crinkling them and pulling them apart.
- You are a giggle monster, especially around your Daddy. We love hearing you laugh.- You continue to make all sorts of sounds. We especially love it when you say “ah-uh?” with a little inflection going up. It sounds like you’re imitating our questions. And then you’ll say “ah-uh” with a downward inflection, as if you’re answering your own question.
- You now have 6 teeth! Four at the top, two at the bottom.
- We survived your first cold. You didn’t seem very bothered by your runny nose but you certainly had trouble sleeping.
- Out of the blue, you started hating bath time. After a week of you crying every time we got near the tub, we tried putting your inflatable bathtub in the kitchen and you were ok with that. We wonder if you dislike small spaces because elevators seem to make you cry as well.
- You are getting more social. Today at the library’s baby story time, you crawled up to the baby and mom next to us and touched that baby’s hand.
- Your favourite toy right now is Mommy’s spatula. Your Daddy taught you how to use it as a hockey stick to hit ping pong balls and that is your current favourite game.
Sometimes when I look at you, I can see you’re already starting to become a little lady. You don’t speak any words yet but you are so expressive and you manage to communicate a surprising amount. You continue to be a keen observer of the world and I look forward to hearing one day what it is that you notice.
I love you and am so proud of you my sweet Allie.
All my affection,